Now Accepting Applications for a Part-Time Dispatch Position
$27.12 per hour
30-hours per week including rotational shifts (days/nights/weekends and holidays)
Filing Deadline: 8/6/2021 5:00PM
The City of Ripon is a family-oriented community located along the Stanislaus River in San Joaquin County, with a population of approximately 15,000. The Ripon Police Department is looking for energetic, highly detailed and effective communicators to join our team of professionals in handling 9-1-1 emergency and non-emergency calls for the City of Ripon. The successful candidates will be committed, conscientious, and motivated to help people and provide good customer service to both external and internal customers. Police Dispatchers currently work rotating 12 hour shifts, including nights, weekends and holidays. We welcome all eligible applicants to apply for this rewarding career opportunity.
Police/Law Enforcement dispatchers receive all calls for police services for the cities of Ripon and Escalon, CA. Requests for service may include calls from individuals who may be injured, confused, abusive or experiencing crisis. Dispatchers must be able to obtain accurate information under difficult conditions by quickly evaluating emergency situations to determine the nature and urgency of the calls and disseminate information to responding units. Dispatchers must have the ability to handle extremely stressful situations calmly and the ability to work well with others. Although our dispatch center does not dispatch fire and medical calls, you will be required to answer calls which may be medical in nature or fire related. Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to perform complex tasks simultaneously are essential to being a successful dispatcher. The Ripon Police Department dispatch center operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
EXAMPLES OF JOB DUTIES:
- Receives, interprets, classifies, prioritizes and dispatches calls of a routine and emergency nature, including calls involving life threatening situations, expeditiously and accurately.
- Assigns calls to appropriate units.
- Visually monitors status display terminals while simultaneously monitoring radio, phone and lobby traffic.
- Ensures correct status of pending and dispatched calls, locations of units and makes “on-line” changes as appropriate.
- Checks and confirms warrants.
- Provides information to units regarding vehicles, driver’s licenses, probation and warrants.
- Enters relevant information and retrieves information on multiple computerized systems, including a computer-aided dispatch system; operates multiple computer systems utilizing various programs simultaneously.
- Responsible for adhering to department policies and procedures; performs related duties as required.
- Exercise tact, courtesy and patience in all contacts with the public and co-workers.
- Work well both independently and in a team environment.
- Communicate effectively in writing; report preparation; record information quickly and accurately.
- Communicate verbally over the phone and radio with an understandable and clear voice quality.
- Understanding of the general geography of Ripon and Escalon, quickly interpreting computerized maps.
- Operate a keyboard accurately at minimum speed of 45 WPM.
- Alternate attention among a variety of tasks simultaneously, while retaining information gathered and exercising sound judgement in situations with a high consequence of error; maintains confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Obtain relevant information in emergency situations to make critical decisions quickly and effectively.
- Possession of high school diploma or GED.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience working with the public.
- Typing skills at a minimum of 45 WPM NET is required (testing locations below)
- Individuals must pass a background investigation, psychological/physical exam, pre-employment drug and alcohol test, and a hearing evaluation prior to hire.
- Must obtain a passing score of the POST Entry Level Dispatcher Exam
- Must live within a 35 mile radius of the City of Ripon upon completion of the probationary period.
- Must work rotating shifts including nights, weekends, holidays and overtime on a regular basis.
Applications are screened for completeness and minimum qualifications. Once screened, qualified candidates will be invited back for testing. Applicants with passing test scores will contacted by mail to participate in the interview process. Successful candidates will be placed on an eligibility list and will be ranked according to their overall scores. The list will remain in effect for one (1) year unless it is exhausted sooner, terminated, or extended by the City.
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit the following:
- City of Ripon Employment Application
- Copy of typing certificate with minimum of 45 WPM and dated within the last 12 months. Ripon PD staff is unable to make photocopies for you. On-line typing certificates will not be accepted.
For further information, contact Christina Caro by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
|Typing Test Locations|
Manteca Adult School 2271 W. Louise Avenue Manteca, CA 95336 (209)858-7330 sjcworknet.org
WiseGuys PC 3600 Sisk Road Suite 2F Modesto, CA 95356
Express Employment Professionals 2350 West Monte Vista Avenue Turlock, CA 95382 (209)668-5830 expresspros.com