Holiday Safety Tips
The Ripon Police Department, in association with the Ripon Consolidated Fire District, would like to wish all of our citizens a safe and happy holiday season. The following are helpful holiday reminders:
Un-plug holiday lights when not in use.
Do not overload electrical outlets, or run extension cords under carpets. Only use lights that bear the mark of an independent testing laboratory.
Do not burn paper/trash in your fireplace.
Do not dump fireplace ash into your garbage can.
Do not leave burning candles unattended.
Do not leave burning fireplaces unattended.
Do not leave cooking food unattended.
*Unattended cooking food is the leading cause of home fires in the U.S.
Test all smoke detectors & install fresh batteries every 6 months.
Have a properly rated/charged fire extinguisher available in your home.
Do not leave your vehicle unattended and running at any time.
Do not leave valuables (Purse, cell phone, wallet, laptop etc.) in your vehicle during the day.