FULL TIME POLICE DISPATCHER
$44,838 – $54,501 Yearly / $21.56 – $26.21 Per Hour PART-TIME POLICE DISPATCHER
Wage: $21.56 Per Hour / 25-30 hours per week
Police/Law Enforcement dispatchers receive all calls for police services, for the cities of Ripon and Escalon, CA. Although our dispatch center does not dispatch fire and medical calls, you will be required to answer calls which may be medical in nature or fire related. Dispatchers determine the nature and urgency of calls while obtaining information from the callers and responding units. This information is then entered in our computer-aided dispatch software program, RIMS. Dispatchers continually update the status of personnel responding to the incident, adding details as the call progresses. All dispatcher positions require the ability to handle extremely stressful situations calmly and work with callers who are experiencing a crisis. Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to perform complex tasks simultaneously are essential to being a successful dispatcher. The Ripon Police Department dispatch center operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Individuals hired to work in police dispatching are required to work any assigned shift, as well as special shifts. Shifts in police dispatching include day, swing, and graveyard with rotation of shifts every four months; rotation of shifts is mandatory for every dispatcher.
Minimum Experience/Training Requirements
- A minimum of one (1) year experience in a position dealing with the public in stressful or time sensitive situations is required.
- Typing skills at a minimum of 45 WPM NET are required.
Necessary Special Requirements
- Must be able and willing to work any shift and special shifts as assigned
- Individuals must pass a background investigation, psychological/physical exam, preemployment drug and alcohol test, and a hearing evaluation prior to hire. •Must obtain a passing score on the POST Entry Level Dispatcher Exam.
- Must live within a 35 mile radius of the City of Ripon upon completion of the probationary period.
- Applications will be screened for minimum qualifications.
- Applicants meeting minimum qualifications will be invited back to take the POST Entry Level Dispatcher Exam and will be contacted by letter.
- Applicants receiving passing scores will be scheduled for an interview.
- Successful candidates will be placed an eligibility list for 1 year for future Full-Time and Part-Time Dispatch vacancies.
Please Submit the Following
- City of Ripon Employment Application
- Typing Certificate with a minimum of 45 WPM and dated within the last 60 days – online typing certificates will not be accepted. CERTIFICATES- RIPON PD STAFF WILL NOT MAKE COPIES FOR YOU.
- IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETING
- NOTE: ALL APPLICANTS MUST PROVIDE COPIES OF THEIR
APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYEMENT
If you are interested in this outstanding career opportunity, you may obtain an application in person at the Ripon Police Department 259 N Wilma Ave, Ripon, CA 95366, or download it. For more information about this position, please call (209) 253-5333.
- Read ALL forms carefully.
- List zip and area codes for all address and phone numbers.
- Print FULL name: Last, First, Middle. If there is no middle name, indicate by printing “NMI”.
- You MUST have complete addresses of present and past employers for the last ten (10) years. Use additional paper if necessary.
- Complete all information on educational background.
- If there is insufficient space in the form to include all required information, place supplemental information sheets (8 ½ X 11 lined paper) in proper sequence and complete the information. Be certain to identify each question by item number on the supplemental information sheet.
- ANY FALSE STATEMENTS MADE ON THIS APPLICATION MAY BE CAUSE FOR REMOVAL FROM THE ELIGIBILITY LIST, AND CAUSE FOR DISMISSAL IF AN APPOINTMENT WAS MADE.
- Each question on this form must be answered, leaving no blanks. If it does not apply, enter “DNA” in the space provided for the answer.
- YOU MUST complete the application yourself. Use ink and print all information. Typed applications will not be accepted.
FINAL APPLICATION DEADLINE:
FRIDAY, MAY 23, 2014 5:00 PM PST